Friday, July 1, 2011

Not a Chicken But a Turkey

We believe in equal opportunities so here is a turkey tale!

Hi,

My family raised cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, & horses for a few years when I was 17 & 18 years old, which was 35 years ago.  I don't have a funny chicken story, but I do have a funny turkey story.  We had a sliding glass door to the backyard that one of the turkeys used to stand in front of on the outside.  Every time I would come up to the sliding glass door on the inside, the turkey would jump into the glass & try to peck me.  Anyone else could stand in front of the door, & the turkey wouldn't do anything.  It was only when I would stand there.  The turkey would go crazy trying to peck me through the glass.  So, of course, I was afraid of the turkey & didn't like to go out into the backyard.  One day my dad was outside feeding the cows & he wanted me to come out to help.  I told him I didn't want to go out there because of the turkey.  My dad didn't believe me & made me come out there anyway.  As soon as the turkey saw me, he started coming towards me & I kept telling my dad that it was going to peck me.  And sure enough, as soon as it got near me, it started pecking me.  My dad was shocked of course, & I think he kicked the turkey to get it away from me.  Someone told me that the turkey pecked me because it liked me.  I don't know if that's true or not, but it's funny to think about.

Cindy